Hours: 11 am to 6 pm - 1 Year Role
Reports to: Head of Junior School
Education: Post Secondary Education in Early Childhood Education
Registered with College of Early Childhood Educators
Experience: 3 + years’ experience teaching in Early Years (PK-SK)
Experience in a non-profit setting (asset)
Experience in an Independent School
Computer Skills: Mac, Google, Microsoft Office
Working Conditions: School/Office Environment
St. Mildred’s-Lightbourn School
Inspired Girls. Empowered Women. St. Mildred’s-Lightbourn School (SMLS) is recognized as one of the premier independent schools in the country and brings a long history of educational excellence to girls from preschool to university entrance. For well over a century, SMLS has helped develop courageous girls who challenge and change the world.
St. Mildred’s-Lightbourn School has an opening for an Early Childhood Educator to support our preschool program and our Kindergarten classrooms. In this dynamic role, you will be responsible for working with the Kindergarten team and the specialist teachers to facilitate student programming, including the Afternoon Extended Day Program.
The successful candidate is enthusiastic, articulate and a creative teacher who communicates with ease and confidence. You offer a learning community that allows different learners to thrive and prosper. You are comfortable engaging in innovative and diverse programming. You are a critical thinker who demonstrates initiative, integrity and attention to detail. You are an educator who never stops learning and continually seeks best practices in girls’ education to enrich your teaching.
Afternoon Extended Day responsibilities include:
1. Supervising children from Preschool to Grade Six (6)
2. Developing age appropriate activities that support the growth and development of our students
3. Maintain accurate attendance records to facilitate billing and contact tracing
Key Knowledge, Skills & Experience
We are seeking a dynamic, exemplary educator with the following key qualities and a willingness to continue to develop and grow as a professional:
- Desire to support classroom programming (i.e. ensure the classroom and materials are ready for learning, assist in any programs both curricular and non-curricular, provide documentation of learning, etc)
- Desire to support classroom Teacher(s) (i.e. supervise students during recess and lunch hours, communicate daily with the teacher regarding learning, etc)
- Desire to support young students (i.e. help to ensure a safe environment for the students, help navigate friendships, etc
- Experience with supporting innovative inquiry based programming
- Exemplary communication and collaboration skills
- Desire to seek opportunities that go above and beyond to contribute to a dynamic academic and co-curricular learning environment
Respect: We welcome and support the diversity of our school community and the broader communities and environment in which we learn, work and live. We respect our Anglican roots and our traditions.
Integrity: Honesty and responsibility are fundamental to everything we do – from the classroom to the boardroom.
Innovation: We are in a place where new ideas and promising practices can be explored, evaluated and flourish.
Commitment: We recognize our responsibilities to each other and to the world, and we will stand by our word and persevere with passion, pride and hard work.
Courage: We are not afraid to confront the uncertainties or difficulties the future may bring. We are resilient and are prepared to be bold and take action.
St. Mildred’s-Lightbourn School is a member of the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan and provides a competitive compensation package for staff members.
If you are interested in an opportunity to join our school, please apply online at smls.simplication.com.
We appreciate and thank all applicants for your interest in SMLS, however, only those candidates invited for an interview will be contacted. We will begin reaching out to candidates when applications are received and until the role is filled.
SMLS is an equal opportunity employer and we accommodate any needs under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Please contact People & Culture with any needs.