School: Nanook Elementary
Community: Apex, Nunavut
Qikiqtani School Operations invites applications for the following position:
Grade: K -5
The closing date for this competition is Open until filled
Start Date: August 29, 2022
The status (and end date, if applicable) of this position is: Indeterminate
The position is 1.0 (Full time)
Please note: Subsidized staff housing is NOT available.
School Description: Nanook Elementary is a K-5 school with approximately 36 students
Must be bilingual in English and Inuktitut
Must be eligible for a Nunavut Teaching Certificate as a Language Specialist
• Subject knowledge, training and experience relevant to the assignment
• Experience and / or training with current assessment methods
• Evidence of differentiated instruction and inclusive practices
• Experience and / or training in classroom management practices and the development of positive learning environments (eg. Restitution, Tribes, Positive Effective Behavior Supports, etc.)
• Cross-cultural and/or northern teaching experience
• Evidence of training and / or experience in the area of Balanced Literacy
• Training and / or teaching experience in an ESL environment
• Evidence / experience building positive relationships with students, colleagues, parents, stakeholders
• Skills / training using education-related information technology ie SMART Board Applications
• Planning skills (lesson, theme, unit, year, and student support plans)
Salary: $67,284 to $81,207
The Northern Allowance for Apex, Nunavut is $15,016
Qikiqtani School Operations is committed to:
Promotion of the Inuktut Language and Inuit Qaujimajatuqangit (Inuit Societal Values)
Improving Student Literacy
Resiliency, adaptability and resourcefulness are assets to employment and northern life.
Applications must be emailed (Word Document or PDF file) to email@example.com
Note: Attachments over 10mb will not be accepted.
Ensure that the subject line of your email states the Reference #NAN 2223 03028 B. Attach a cover letter and resume with the names of 3 current references (including your most recent supervisor).
Applicants from outside Nunavut must provide a copy of a current public-school teaching certificate from a jurisdiction recognized by the Nunavut Department of Education or proof of enrollment in the final year of a Canadian Bachelor of Education program. Applications that do not include this documentation will not be considered.
Current Government of Nunavut employees must hold a valid Nunavut teaching certificate and must submit a current Criminal Record Check (CRC) and Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC) before appointment to the position can be finalized.
External applicants (not currently employed by the Government of Nunavut) must submit a current Criminal Record Check (CRC) and a Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC) before appointment to the position can be finalized.
If selected for an interview, your interview questions will follow the behavior descriptive model as described in the attached link Behavior Description Interviewing (gov.nu.ca)
Note: CRC and VSC forms expire after 6 months, please ensure these are up to date.
All applicants must be eligible to work in Canada at the time of application.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Only applicants short-listed for an interview will be contacted.
The Government of Nunavut is committed to a more representative workforce to best serve the needs of Nunavummiut. Priority will be given to Land Claims beneficiaries.
Acting Human Resource Officer: Elizabeth P. Inuarak