We are a dedicated and community minded team at GNS with a big heart and a strong work ethic. We are looking for like-minded individuals who will share in our passion for preparing outstanding citizens of character who will contribute to the world through their leadership, a commitment to service, and an understanding that we are all responsible for the future of our communities. We are currently seeking exceptional candidates for the following opportunity:
Reporting to the Chief Financial & Operations Officer, the Controller is responsible for the day-to-day operations of finance and accounting, the food services program, and the school store, ensuring seamless service at all times with a continual focus on operational efficiencies and system integrations. Providing exemplary service to all stakeholders, this role builds strong relationships that support the school’s values of Truth, Courage, Caring, Individuality and Community.
The successful candidate will have a mastery of Excel and familiarity with GoogleSuite applications, a CPA designation and recent management experience. Top-notch communication and leadership skills and the ability to work independently as well as within a collaborative team environment are vital skills to excel in this role.
- Prepares timely and accurate monthly financial statements and cash-flow forecasts for both the GNS Society (“the School”) and GNS Foundation (the “Foundation”) with analysis of variances and trends.
- Prepares the annual external financial statements for both the School and Foundation and all associated working papers. Manages the various external audits (year end and all others) and acts as the primary liaison with the auditors. Coordinates timing for fieldwork, prepares year-end schedules and necessary analysis, and drafts the financial statements.
- Oversees all finance and accounting functions including directing the work of Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Payroll & HR Coordinator, Store Manager, and Lunch Program Coordinator, and provides on-going direction, coaching and mentorship. Details include:
Reviewing monthly reconciliations prepared by Accounting staff to ensure accuracy and integrity of financial data.
Maintaining the Fixed Asset sub-ledgers and continuity schedules.
Preparing the quarterly GST returns and the annual Charity Returns for the School and Foundation.
Following up on difficult past due accounts as necessary, meeting with parents to discuss strategies to clear outstanding balances.
Calculating and recording the annual endowment earnings and distribution from the Foundation.
Overseeing the annual tax receipts preparation for camps and after-school care
Managing the School’s access settings with CRA and bank account maintenance.
Reviewing monthly inventory, store sales, and food sales reports performing necessary analysis, making changes and recommendations as required.
- Ensures that all proper and necessary operational controls are implemented and maintained to protect the School’s and Foundation’s assets, including cash flow management and compliance with taxation requirements.
- Assists the CFO with the annual budgeting process as required and acts as the first point of contact for budget-holders, assisting them in preparing and managing their budgets.
- Manages the Chart of Accounts for the School and Foundation and customizes reports requested by budget-holders, performing analysis as required.
- Identifies opportunities for continuous improvements and implements process improvements, undertaking special projects and other duties as required
- Prepares various analysis as requested by the CFO/COO, including the tracking of KPIs and other benchmarking initiatives important for assessing financial trends and industry comparisons.
- Provides support and coverage for administration functions as required.
Education / Experience:
- Bachelor of Commerce, Business or other related discipline.
- Completion of professional accounting designation (CA, CGA, CMA, CPA) with membership in good standing.
- Six or more years of progressive experience in an accounting environment.
- Three or more years of leadership experience and managing others.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Must be results-driven, a self-starter and highly motivated with a leadership and interpersonal style that fosters collaborative and productive relationships with a diverse group of people.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills; especially adept at ensuring tasks of the department are on track and using progress reporting tools.
- Highly detail oriented with superior analytical, financial and accounting skills.
- Ability to think, plan and execute strategically and build support for the School’s mission and vision.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Collaborative, yet decisive, management style.
- Proactive and innovative approach to solving problems.
- High standards of confidentiality and integrity with staff, parents and other community members.
- Flexibility and tolerance for high stress, fast paced environment.
- Highly proficient using Excel and Google Suite applications.
- Highly proficient using Financial Edge/Blackbaud or other accounting software systems with a proven ability to learn new systems.
Why work for GNS? We are a committed group of people that love what we do and believe firmly in living our values. We work hard but we also believe in having fun while we’re at it! We invite you to join our truly exceptional community and to experience a rewarding career in independent education. Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter indicating personal strengths and accomplishments by visiting the following link: https://easyapply.co/job/controller-300?rcid
We encourage applicants to apply by Wednesday, September 29th. This position will remain open until filled and we thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Glenlyon Norfolk School will only use and retain personal information for the purpose for which it was collected. Any personal information provided will be maintained in confidence.