The Gitxaala, also known as Git Lax Mo’on, people of the saltwater, are one of the most ancient societies on the Northwest coast. The community has a population of approximately 400 people. Health and wellness guide a variety of community initiatives, often including Lach Klan School. Our school includes pre-school to grade 12 and currently serves 85 students. We are located in Kitkatla, about 45km southwest of Prince Rupert on Dolphin Island and accessible by boat and seaplane. The area is home to a wide variety of animal and sea life, a multitude of islands, and breath-taking views. This area is abundant with opportunity for an outdoor enthusiast.
Lach Klan School, in the Gitxaala Nation is seeking a Grade 2/3 teacher.
· Differentiating lessons to meet the needs of all Grade 2 & 3 students, while helping to create a nurturing culture-centred/ land-based learning environment
· Building collaborative and effective relationships with students, staff, parents and the community
· Actively participating in the community
· Providing supervision, guidance and instruction for students in their social, academic, and personal lives
· Assisting students living with disabilities to meet their goals
· Enabling students to establish themselves within a culturally-centred learning environment
· Planning and organizing individual and group programs using multi-disciplinary approaches
· Holding meaningful and insightful conversations with students, faculty, and parents, and mediating communication between these groups
· Proactively identifying methods for growth, development, and mentorship
· Able to meet content and curricular competency objectives while delivering a land-based learning curriculum
· Participating actively in the community we serve
· Knowledge of First Nations communities in the Pacific Northwest
· Early Childhood Education Certificate/ training or teaching experience or qualification
· Certified or in the process of becoming certified by the British Columbia Ministry of Education Teacher Regulation Branch
· Exceptional and creative teaching skills
· Able to manage multiple student files
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Understanding of personal or life skills management
· Comfortable working with children of different ages, as well as faculty and parents
· Leadership skills when working with groups and individuals
We provide: Furnished Teacherage at a nominal rental rate, Health Benefits, Pension Fund, Moving Allowance and a Retention Bonus, A Competitive Salary (based on neighbouring School District 52 Prince Rupert).
For additional information or to submit an application for this position, send your cover letter, resume/ curriculum vitae, three references, and documentation of your credentials via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.