The position recognizes the additional physical workload that the Education Assistant carries out on a daily basis.- Special Education Assistant : PHYSICAL
The Educational Assistant - Physical works with students that routinely require assistance with lifting, transferring, positioning, toileting, personal care etc.
Special Education assistant ( s) required for September 2021 for a Modified High School Student - grade 11.
- Male (due to size/weight of the student)
- toileting required
- able to use /hold weight with transfer belt
- student uses large walker/walking frame
- parents prefer engaging personality to talk with the student ( partially non verbal). Supports students in learning communication skills and social/emotional strategies as outlined in the IEP or as needed on a daily basis.
- Experience with special education students asset/required. Prefer one (1) year specific experience working with persons with diverse learning needs and physical disabilities. Therapy staff at the school will train /work with the candidates.
In consultation with Teachers, Occupational Therapists, and Physiotherapists, and Speech Language Pathologists, adapts physical activities and understands base-line behaviours for specific students and recognizes when there is a change and follows reporting protocols.
TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS Grade 12 or equivalent, and One (1) year Education Assistant and Community Support Worker certificate or equivalent combination of post-secondary courses in child/adolescent development, or behaviour management including nonviolent crisis intervention techniques. Current Level One First Aid desirable.
OCCUPATIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Physically able to work with students at their level, (running, squatting, kneeling and sitting on the floor). Physically able to carry out weight bearing transfers of students weighing up to 195lbs.
School hours are Mon-Thur 8:45am - 3:15pm and Friday 8:45am - 12:00pm
Hourly Rate - $24.00-$27.00 depending on experience