As a Casual Education Assistant in The Parkland School Division, you will be part of enacting our vision, mission and foundational statements.
Our students possess the confidence, resilience, insight and skills required to thrive in and positively impact the world.
We assure supportive learning environments, meaningful experiences and healthy relationships that create opportunities to develop resilience, to gain diversity in perspectives and to achieve enduring success.
Our Ultimate Goal is Student Success and Well-being .
We therefore value:
• Learning opportunities that are:
• authentic, and
• Excellence in achievement;
• Trustworthy, respectful relationships; and
• Resilience with self-awareness.
We attend to these Priorities:
• Inspired Exploration
• Connected Community
• Confident Resilience
• Meaningful Engagement
• Wellness Culture
• Resource Stewardship
The Parkland School Division has openings for Casual Support Staff, we are accepting resumes for casual Education Assistants. Successful applicants to this posting will be required to be available to accept casual assignments across the Division.
• Level 1 Childcare Certificate or equivalence is required
• Education Assistant Certificate would be an asset
• Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Certificate is an asset
• First Aid/CPR Certificates would be an asset
• Excellent organization skills and understanding of child development
• Experience working with children who demonstrate challenging behaviors, communication delays and autism spectrum disorders
• Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work using a team approach is imperative
• Ability and awareness to record anecdotal notes
Given the diversity of students in schools, there are functional abilities related to physical management that a Casual Education Assistant may require. The functional abilities areas are:
Sufficient Mobility and Flexibility:
• to work with students in a variety of positions (i.e. sit on chair or floor, kneel, stand, bend or reach to assist)
• to walk easily, maneuver stairs and move from one position or place to another with sufficient ease to respond to student need in a timely manner.
• to participate in safety and control positions (i.e. restraint as per NVCI)
• to assist individuals with walking (e.g. holding their hand, stabilizing them, guiding on the stairs)
• to use appropriate mobility equipment (e.g. transfer belt, push wheelchair, stabilizing and supporting use of walker, assist with use of walker)
• to assist with personal care (i.e. toileting, feeding, dressing)
Sufficient Manual Dexterity:
• to manipulate assistive devices (e.g. insulin pumps, hearing aids, braces, feeding tubes, dressing fasteners, fasten seat belts, etc.)
• to be able to participate and support programming for active children when assigned.
• to provide active supervision and support with students in typical school related physical activities for full work hours (including gym, playground equipment, track and field)
• to be able to work in a variety of environments and conditions (e.g. swimming, playground equipment, community facilities)
• to lift objects up to 50 lbs
• to participate in one to two person lifts depending upon the weight of student
• to carry, lift and maneuver adaptive equipment (e.g. standing framer, change table, toilet seats, commode, sensory equipment, lifts, mats,)
• to assist with student transfers (i.e. floor-chair, chair, standing, sit, standing transfers as needed per weight of student)
All successful applicants require an original copy of a current clean criminal record check with vulnerable sector and an original copy of a child intervention record check.
ONLY ONLINE APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED THROUGH APPLY TO EDUCATION WILL BE ACCEPTED.
Applying to a job is a two-step process. First you must register and create a portfolio, then you must apply to the job posting by following the steps below:
Internal Employees: View and apply to job postings through the 'Job Postings' tab and then click 'Search Jobs'. Please ensure to turn the "Display internal/occasional postings" ON to view internal postings.
External applicants: View and apply to job postings through the 'Job Postings' tab and then click 'Search Jobs'
Click onto the position title of the job that you wish to apply to and then scroll down to the bottom of the page, click 'APPLY'
Jobs that you have applied to will appear under the ‘Job Application Log’ in the Job Postings section, you will also receive a confirmation email.
For technical support while applying to a position online, please contact our service provider for assistance:
Apply to Education
Hours: 5:30am-5:00pm, Monday through Friday