Location(s): Various High Schools
Start Date: August 25, 2021
Closing Date: Until Filled
Fort McMurray Catholic Schools is seeking a School Psychologist and Mental Health Therapist to join their team. This assignment is for experienced candidates who are able to work with a range of students from grades 7 to 12.
The successful applicant must either hold a Master in Guidance and Counselling or a Master of Psychology or Social Work with advanced practice in the assessment and treatment of mental, emotional, and behavioural disorders/conditions. They must be eligible for or in process of obtaining membership to the Alberta Psychology Association, the College of Alberta Psychologists, the Association of Counselling Therapy of Alberta or other registered clinical organization. For the right candidate, a Bachelors in Psychology or Social Work may be considered with strong counselling experience.
This person will work collaboratively as a team with their school administrators, teachers, staff, students and parents. The successful candidate will have specific knowledge and training in school counselling and be able to support regular classroom teachers with specialized teaching strategies in regards to supporting mental health including:
· Works with their School Administration to intervene and address day-to-day emergent/urgent social and emotional issues of students
· Provides training and education to staff in using various instructional approaches and strategies for communication and social skill, friendship/relationship development, conflict resolution and anxiety to build students’ resiliency and independence
· Provides small group and individual support for students who require communication and social skills, friendship/relationship development, self regulation and anxiety to build student success and independence
· Referrals for therapeutic supports to other community agencies who support children and families who have children with social/emotional and special education needs.
· Will supplement the religion/health programs enhance student social skills, perspective taking and empathy development in whole class or small group settings
· Coordinates development of Instructional Support Plans(ISP) and ensures regular and timely completion with Administration for students with behaviour disorders
· Demonstrates compassion and uses a variety of effective communication techniques when communicating to students, staff, parents, and community agencies
· Possesses the ability to work independently and make decisions while keeping Principal apprised of sensitive situations
A competitive remuneration package with benefits is available, including Extended Health, Dental, Vision and Life & Disability Insurance.
Please submit a cover letter and an accompanying resume, detailed educational achievements and experience.
The successful candidate will be required to provide a criminal record check including vulnerable person. FMCSD may contract past and present employers for references. All FMCSD employees are expected to be computer literate, including fluency with Google email and MS Office.
Please submit your application/resume to:
Fort McMurray Catholic Schools
9809 Main Street
Fort McMurray, Alberta T9H 1T7
Tel: (780) 799 - 5700