The successful candidate will be responsible for working with students with Special Needs (specifically physical and intellectual disabilities and behavioural or other learning difficulties). The Educational Assistant, as a professional and integral member of the school team, is responsible for the provision of academic, physical and emotional support to students with exceptional needs within the school in order to encourage student independence and the development of unique talents of individual students.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Relevant training (for example, non-violent crisis intervention, conflict training)
- Experience working with students with Special Needs and with students who are exhibiting severe behavioural/emotional difficulties.
- Proven ability, experience and skill in working as a member of a team.
- College Diploma in a related field of study or University Degree.
- 1 - 2 years prior experience with Special Needs students
- Exceptional interpersonal skills in dealing with children and adolescents.
Interested applicants must forward a cover letter, the names of three (3) individuals who can be contacted for a professional reference and resume indicating qualifications, education and experience through www.applytoeducation.ca. A Pastoral Reference is not required.
Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process upon request. Accommodation queries should be directed to the Human Resources Department at (705) 722-3555 ext. 233.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
As a condition of employment, new employees to SMCDSB are required, by legislation, to submit a satisfactory Criminal Background Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening.
Brian Beal Maria Hardie
Director of Education Board Chair